QUALIFICATIONS FOR STUDIO USE
- Students must be enrolled in a Photography class to use the studios.
- Proper studio attire, meaning close-toed shoes and a shirt, is required for all persons in the studio.
- Bring your Student ID. No ID = No Equipment. No Exceptions!
General (Studio Usage and rules)
- Students are required to leave studios clean and ready for the next student.
- Absolutely No Glitter in the studios!! (Unless you have brought a Dyson© with you.)
- DO NOT leave equipment unattended. SBCC is not responsible for lost or stolen items, including those checked out to you while you are in the studio.
- Students are not allowed to trim or cut background sweeps. Do not put tape on the seamless; use post-it notes for marking.
Reserving Studio Space
- Students may not book more than one studio per day. If more time is needed, work with a group to book multiple slots.
- Students who overbook studios will receive an overbooking strike and all current reservations for that student will be removed.
- Students more than fifteen minutes late to their reserved studio time slot will be given a late/no-show strike and may lose his or her studio to a waiting student.
All Studios Have the following equipment.
- 6 – 40″ C-Stands
- Product Table and Modeling Stool
- 3 – 15lb Sandbags
- Black, Grey, and White Sweeps
- 1 – 8ft Black/White Board
- 1 iMac for Tethered shooting (not on the network)
- Each item is properly marked in the studio. And expected to be returned to its proper spot before checking out of the studio.
- Make sure the light switch is off before plugging the light in.
- Grip lights by the stand when moving, raising or lowering them.
- Sandbag the light once it’s in place to prevent it from moving or falling over.
- Unplug power cords properly at the socket. DO NOT unplug the light by yanking on the cord! This damages the wires and leads to equipment malfunction.
- Manuals for all strobe kits are available at dac.sbcc.edu >Help>Manuals>Strobes.
- Before you unplug a strobe, make sure the power is off and then dump the power cell by pushing the test button. Failure to do so may result in violent electric shock.
CENTURY STANDS (C-STANDS)
- ALWAYS USE A SAND BAG.
- Make sure that the weight of the arm will be directed over the tallest leg of the stand.
- Tighten the knuckle towards the weight, not against it.
- Grip joints at the base when raising or lowering the rail of the stand.
- Brace the extension arm when tightening and loosening.
- Return stands to the right-hand side of the studio, fully lowered, extension arm facing down, with knuckles tightened.
- An “Over-Under” cord-wrapping technique is strictly enforced in the studios.
- Students will be penalized for improper cord management.
- All staff members are able to give cord-wrapping demonstrations.
ADVANCED STUDIO EQUIPMENT
- Only students who are currently enrolled in or have successfully completed PHOT209 or PHOT280 may use advanced studio equipment.
- This equipment is for on-campus use only and may not be checked off-campus without written consent of the department chair.
- For a list of current advanced studio equipment, please see the Available Equipment Chart.
- Nude photography is allowed if the student notifies staff beforehand. Signs will be posted to help ensure privacy.
- Keep liquids away from electrical wiring; always turn off all lights before mopping up any spills. Should a spill occur, ask the staff for a mop.
- Fire, smoke, firearms or weapons and drugs or alcohol are prohibited in the studios.
- Unlit cigarettes and sealed alcoholic containers may be allowed with permission from the Studio Manager.
STUDIO STRIKES “Penalty Box”
STUDENTS WILL BE BLOCKED FROM CHECKOUT AND STUDIOS IF...
- Late/No Show – Not showing up or showing up more than 15 minutes late for a reserved studio slot o Messy – Leaving the studio without cleaning up after yourself (aka “glitter strike”)
- Improper dress – Not wearing closed toe shoes and/or a shirt
- Food/Drink – Bringing food or drink into the studios
- Noise – Especially sensitive during class meetings
- Misuse/abuse – of studios or studio equipment (Improper cord-wrapping counts!)